Universal Credit coming to Lockleaze in July

July 02 2018
Universal Credit coming to Lockleaze in July

Since announcing Universal Credit (UC) was being rolled out in North Bristol from Sept 2018, we’ve learned that UC will be introduced in Lockleaze from 18 July.

This is because it is being rolled out by postcodes linked to Job Centres. Lockleaze is linked to Temple Street Job Centre, not Horfield as previously thought. For Horfield and other areas linked to Horfield and Shirehampton Job Centres, it will be introduced in September. Kingswood and Yate wait until October 2018 for the roll out.

You can go to http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate to check when Universal Credit is rolled out by your postcode.

If you currently claim benefits and have a change or circumstances after these dates, it is likely that you will be moved onto Universal Credit. If you currently claim benefits and do not have any changes, then you will stay on your current benefits and not move across to Universal Credit ntil 2021 or 2022.

How will Universal Credit affect you?

Some people will be better off on Universal Credit, such as if you are working a few hours and do not qualify for tax credits. Many people will be worse off and some significantly. This is especially the case if you are claiming a benefit because of a disability or health condition, such as Employment Support Allowance (ESA). This is because some of the additional monies you would have received under ESA have been removed for Universal Credit.

If you are currently receiving ESA and get turned down, please contact North Bristol Advice Centre for advice immediately, before you claim Universal Credit, to avoid potentially being significantly worse off.

Do you receive a severe disability premium, and/or an enhanced disability premium included in your ESA, JSA or Income Support?

You are likely to receive the severe disability premium if you receive the higher or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the Daily Living (DL) component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), live alone (except for dependent children) and no one claims Carers Allowance for looking after you. If you are in receipt of the high rate care component of DLA or the enhanced rate of the DL component of PIP you are likely to be receiving the enhanced disability premium.

If you claim Universal Credit, you will lose these premiums which could add up to nearly £100 per week.

Whilst you have a legal obligation when claiming benefits to report any changes of circumstances, please get advice from an advice centre like North Bristol Advice Centre before claiming Universal Credit. We can also help with your claim.

If you need help with your benefits, managing your money better or are concerned about debts, North Bristol Advice Centre offer a wide range of free services that can help. This ranges from checking your benefits, explaining letters, helping with claims (both paper and online), appealing decisions or helping with budgeting and money planning. Our weekly MoneySmart online drop-in is staffed by volunteers who can help you get online –including setting up email addresses and making a claim for Universal Credit.

For more information, or to book an appointment, visit

www.northbristoladvice.org.uk or Tel: 0117 951 5751